KDE 3.5.final?

Allen Winter winter at kde.org
Fri Aug 29 01:23:41 CEST 2008

On Monday 25 August 2008 08:51:35 Stephan Kulow wrote:
> Am Montag 25 August 2008 schrieb Allen Winter:
> > >
> > > Actually I think the best way to let people focus on KDE4 is making sure
> > > KDE3 becomes unusable as stable platform in allowing untested
> > > experiments.
> >
> > At least I'm sure that KDAB tests kdepim changes and is around
> > to help fix and port stuff.  So people who need kdepim 3.5 could
> > conceivably switch to the kdepim/enterprise branch.
>
> I don't have an issue with kdepim 3.5.17 being released. But I do have
> one with kdelibs or kdebase changes based on experiments. And actually
> kdepim was one of the modules I had to fix up before it would compile.

The responsible parties will be flogged :)
Sorry.

BTW, I am with Stephan on the EOL 3.5 issue.
We simply can't be throwing untested code over the wall at the 3.5 branch
and hope that it works.  We've already encountered 2 evil bugs caused
by such code in kdepim 3.5.10.

If some "entity" wants to take up real development responsibility for 3.5.x,
then have at it.  But that's not for me.  We have far more work than we
can possibly do in a lifetime in kdepim as it is.

I expect KDAB will continue doing the best they can for kdepim enterprise.
But the rest of the kdepim team will be moving onto KDE 4 and I plan
to tightly monitor the kdepim 3.5 branch and stop anything but the most
obvious bug fixes there.

IOW: branches/KDE/3.5/kdepim is essentially frozen.