KDE 3.5.final?

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Mon Aug 25 14:22:58 CEST 2008

On Monday 25 August 2008, Mark Constable wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 08:43:11 pm Dirk Mueller wrote:
> > Whats the underlying reason for pulling it into a git repository
> > instead of leaving it where it was the last few years?
>
> Because I believe HEAD should be a persistent stable rolling
> release URL (always summer in trunk principle) with experiments
> in branches. Managing branches with git is much easier than svn.

another possibility might be to create another mainline in svn for 3.5 and
just fold that back periodically.

> > commits are still open to 3.5 branch, thats really unrelated to
> > if the 3.5 branch will ever be *released* again.
>
> There seems to be quite some reluctance to allow anything much
> other than bugfixes and some, apparently, would like to see the
> 3.5 branch officially EOL'd sooner than later. We're prepared to
> put some effort and resources into making sure it retains some
> viability and vitality for at least another 12 months.

personally i think that's cool .. it probably means finding someone to do
release management, as the way i'm reading it Kulow is ready to be done with
that =) but it seems that is nearly sorted out already, according to other
emails in this thread.

while it might be "best" to have everyone's hands on KDE4, it's also realistic
that there will be those who remain interested in KDE3 for various reasons and
there's no reason to try and control that beyond encouraging KDE4 to be the
primary focus. as it already is for virtually the entire core project and KDE3
is certainly seen as a "legacy maintenance" project given all the development
activity i currently see, i don't think this endangers KDE4 progress in any
way.

p.s. is "we" a company or an already-organized group of people, or the "we"
that is working on 3.5 right now?

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se