KDEPIM 4.1?

Allen Winter winter at kde.org
Wed Apr 30 15:57:50 CEST 2008

On Wednesday 30 April 2008 07:04:13 Sebastian Kuegler wrote:
> On Wednesday 30 April 2008 04:26:54 Allen Winter wrote:
> > Sebas' "Alpha1" announcement on the Dot [1] promises KDE-PIM
> > as part of the 4.1 release.
> >
> > I have strong doubts about this.  We need to discuss.
> >
> > There are several apps (KPilot, KMobileTools, KitchenSync,..)
> > that haven't been touched for a long time.  And other
> > apps that are still a long way from being releasable.
> > And another set (KMailCVT, Korn, ..) that I really have
> > no idea about their status.
> >
> > One idea is to eliminate kdepim and move any of the apps
> > that people still care about and actively maintain to extragear.
> >
> > Certainly, it is time for a review of what we have and what
> > we need to jettison into unmaintained.  But, more importantly,
> > I simply don't see the our flagship apps being ready
> > in the next couple months.
> >
> > Thoughts or comments?
>
> Which apps are ready? KMail and KOrganizer, I gather? How about
> KAddressbook? Knotes? Akregator? That would make for a good PIM (it's the
> apps I use anyway ;-)).
>
> Not that I was able to try them, yet...

Some folks say KMail is ready.  I'm not so sure.

KAlarm and KTimeTracker.. probably.

Helio says KNode is ready.  I'll take his word for it.

Kaddressbook is pretty bad, IMO.

Akregator is getting better.  It can probably be ready.

Kleopatra is maintained by KDAB, so I guess it will be ready.

KOrganizer is pretty bad and so is Kontact (the summaries suck
and some of the plugins are broken).

I don't know about KNotes

KPilot, Korn, KMobileTools, KMailCVT haven't had commits in so long
that I have great doubts about their usefulness and quality.

And, the various kresources for groupware, kolab, scalix, slox, etc...
who knows.  We need testers for those.