kdeutils cleanup

Dirk Mueller mueller at kde.org
Tue Apr 29 13:52:30 CEST 2008

On Monday 28 April 2008, Jonathan Riddell wrote:

> > * KCalc - scientific calculator
> KCalc should be replaced by speedcrunch in my opinion, but that would
> require the speedcrunch developers to propose it rather than just say
> they will :)

I think kcalc is fine as well, I don't particularly care either way.

> > * kmilo - kded module to support various types of hardware input devices
> kmilo firstly transforms the various laptop keys (volume, brightness,
> hibernate, music control etc) into something that can be used

obsolete, this is done at lower levels (including hal) currently. kmilo causes
more issues than it fixes, so I'm all for dropping it.

the OSD should be moved to either kmix itself (like openSUSE does) or a kded
module should be written for it to handle also brightness events etc.

> secondly it handles those keys either itself or by passing them onto
> another app (such as kmix)

which is broken, because it is hardcoded. letting it done via global keyboad
accels is the better way to go.

> However, it needs someone to do that.

Patches are available :)

Greetings,