Questions About the New Schedule

Allen Winter winter at kde.org
Fri Sep 14 15:38:52 CEST 2007

Quiet in here..

On Sunday 09 September 2007 6:36:25 am Tom Albers wrote:
> Op za 8 sep 2007 15:08 schreef u:
> > 1) Is kdelibs/kate exempt from the kdelibs freeze on 3 Oct?
> > [Ed: since the kate application may need to make fixes there]
>
> I agree with Thomas, I don't see an important reason.
> If there is a critical bug, we should allow it, see below.
>
> > 2) Is kdebase/runtime/kstyles exempt from the kdelibs freeze on 3 Oct?
> > [Ed: since boemann told me that oxygen still needs a couple months]
>
> Does he know there hardly isn't a couple of months left? If the Oxygen-style
> can not make it for 4.0.0, maybe it should be delayed to 4.0.1 or 4.1.0.
> I mean there is such a hype around Oxygen, I rather wait for a next release
> and have it perfect, than including it now and it looks bad, that will make
> bad press.
>
> Anyhow, I don't think the style would need to make bic/sic changes,
> only implementation changes, I think we can allow them a bit longer,
> but there should be a date where that ends. I would vote to have
> no exceptions anymore without a date where that exception ends.

A "working Oxygen" on the minimum requirements list which I posted here
without objection.  IOW: no working Oxygen => no 4.0.0 release.
So I vote for giving the Oxygen devs exemptions... just like we do for Plasma.

All exemptions should stop at RC1.

> > 4) When is the string freeze?
>
> We discussed this before, we could not reach a uniform descision iirc.
> But I feel a string freeze will force developers to rethink what they are doing.
> So if I had to decide it would be Oct 3rd.

3 Oct  for KDE Development Platform modules
23 Oct for everything else (i.e. the start of the RC cycle)
??

Please, we really need to finalize the string freeze date(s).

> > 5)  Should language bindings be part of the development platform?
> > Richard Dale says "Python and Ruby in good shape by late October,
> > and possibly C# too."
>
> I would follow his plan as he wrote on k-c-d.

I double-checked with Richard and the Ruby and Python bindings will
be freeze-able by 3 Oct.  So we should add those bindings to the
KDE Development Platform.  That's pretty cool

-Allen