Release schedule clarifications

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Wed Oct 24 01:11:49 CEST 2007

On 24.10.07 00:44:36, Cornelius Schumacher wrote:
> On Tuesday 23 October 2007 15:58:21 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > >
> > > Wasn't one of the main points of extragear to give applications a home
> > > which aren't on the same release schedule as "core" KDE?
> >
> > (cut and paste from an email i sent in early october to another list):
> >
> > we'd like to allow developers in extragear to be able to opt in to having
> > time coordinated releases with the core kde modules (dev platform +
> > workspace + core apps). the apps that opt in will have their last stable
> > release included as tarballs alongside the main kde releases.
>
> Ok. That makes sense. One question, though: Does it make sense to have both
> kind of applications in extragear, those that are released on the core KDE
> release schedule and those on their own schedule, or wouldn't it be better to
> move one kind to another module (say move the apps synced with core KDE to
> the module "kdemore")

As far as I understood that would mean a constant mv'ing of apps from
one module to another.

I haven't checked the tags, but as far as I understood there's a special
tag for each KDE4 (note: I don't mean the tag that has trunk/KDE/ in
it) release, if your app from extragear appears under that tag  before
the next KDE4 release is tagged that version of your keg-app gets
packaged together with the KDE4 release.

So if somebody wants to ship his keg-app with KDE4 rc1 (or beta4) he can
put it under that tag. If he then lacks time and doesn't want any more
releases until KDE 4.1 he simply doesn't put his keg-app under the new
tags for KDE4 rc2, rc3, 4.0.x

Andreas

--
Chess tonight.