[kde-ev-marketing] Delaying 4.0?

Jos Poortvliet jospoortvliet at gmail.com
Wed Nov 28 16:42:07 CET 2007

On 11/28/07, Wade Olson <olson at kde.org> wrote:
> On Nov 28, 2007 8:29 AM, Sebastian Kügler <sebas at kde.org> wrote:
> > [CC:ing ev-marketing anyway.]

> > > Huh? Why is their effort wasted if the release happens on Feb. 4th or
> > > some such? They can still pull off a release party. Its not like the
> > > party is going to be months before the release.
>
> Because we, the release planning group, have been asking since the
> summer for a good, safe, reliable date for a release event would be.
> And guess what: that answer was November.  So we padded 2 months and
> are now running into the same problem.
>
> So if we had listened to even the most conservative estimates, it
> would have been *exactly* like the party was months before the
> release.
>
> Having a release party before the release?  Hell, we might as well
> roll in a 4.1 and 4.2 release party at the same time, since we know
> what's going to be in them as well.

I hear some frustration ;-)

But yeah, delaying to the day we do the release party (eg give the
releaseparty when KDE is released) might be fun, but later... I think
that would really suck for our image. Most ppl don't believe we can
release in 2007, slipping by 2 weeks is bad already, but not making
our release party date at all... bleh.