Delaying 4.0?

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Wed Nov 28 17:27:43 CET 2007

On Wednesday 28 November 2007, Andras Mantia wrote:
> On Wednesday 28 November 2007, Rex Dieter wrote:
> > So, do *you* want to be the one to tell the event organizers that all
> > their hard work and effort to pull the event together is now in
> > jeopardy?  Not I.
>
> No, I don't, but this is shows clearly how bad is to do a time based
> release for a *new* product.

that's why we didn't. we gave ourselves 2 years and really free floating
schedules.

there is, however, a difference between not doing a time based release and
never releasing.

> Sure, we have to draw a line and say this
> is the release time, because otherwise we will never stop adding new
> features.

exactly.

> Yet, if the release time is close and there are clear signs
> that the quality for the product is not up to our expectations, there
> shouldn't be any reason (like now the party) that will force us to
> release something broken.

you're presenting two scenarios as if they were the only ones. they aren't.

the fact is that people are already working on new features (see Raphael's
work on the file dialog for instance) and asking for branches and what not.
we can't hold on to a freeze forever. we need to release.

our users need to get a release.
our 3rd party application developers need to get a release.
etc...

hell, WE need to get a release to get this behind us and our wheels moving
again. because everytime i feel we get traction here, someone manages to poke
their head up and say, "OMG! we can't release now!" and everyone goes back to
a happy slow pace. screw that.

>  Of course, like others, I still hope KDE 4.0 will be in a good enough
> shape at that time, but if not, I'd rather not release it before the
> party.

i hear and respect your opinion. i disagree with it (people naturally tend to
have various opinions =), but it does highlight that we need a certain "good
enough"ness to the release to make people such as youreself to be satisfied.
i truly hope that you help make things as good enough as possible while also
communicating *clearly* and *constructively* what "good enough" means. vague
hand waving statements are not enough information to help me (and i assume
others) help meet our combined expectations.

this isn't the list for that conversation, though. we can take it elsewhere.
perhaps in the blogosphere?

> You can still celebrate the "upcoming KDE 4.0" release there. ;)

this is why promo people don't tell us how to code. it would come out like
crap.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se