Delaying 4.0?

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Wed Nov 28 16:22:32 CET 2007

On 28.11.07 15:29:26, Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> [CC:ing ev-marketing anyway.]
>
> On Wednesday 28 November 2007 15:08:50 Andreas Pakulat wrote:

> > > So, do *you* want to be the one to tell the event organizers that all
> > > their hard work and effort to pull the event together is now in
> > > jeopardy?  Not I.
> >
> > Huh? Why is their effort wasted if the release happens on Feb. 4th or
> > some such? They can still pull off a release party. Its not like the
> > party is going to be months before the release.
> >
> > IMHO its going to be much worse to do a release before the party,
> > regardless of the state of KDE4. Reviews will rip KDE4 apart if the
> > release is done that way and the released KDE 4.0.0 is not in a state
> > thats worth a release.
>
> From a PR point of view, and for the sake of the release party, KDE is in a
> state where we'd be able to present it at such an event.

I explicitly tried to not talk about the actual current state of KDE4,
because I simply don't know. I'm not using KDE4 on a regular basis, so I
can't comment on the state - except a few bugs I encountered.

> I don't share your opinion on what's worse, party before release or party
> after release. You really want to have the release out when you're showing it
> to the public (which is what the event is all about, Industry, Press and
> Community). Telling them that it's not released and thus still very much
> vapourware would be "quite unfortunate" (read "sucks").

Hmm, indeed. I obviously didn't dive into the content of that party as
it seems. I agree that having a release party that shows off the release
to all the "3rd party people" without actual release might be a bit
worse than having more problems in the release than we'd like to have.

And btw, jduging from what I read on various sites (dot, planetkde, irc)
I do think a 4.0 release in early january is realistic.

Andreas

--
You're currently going through a difficult transition period called "Life."