Delaying 4.0?

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Wed Nov 28 15:29:26 CET 2007

[CC:ing ev-marketing anyway.]

On Wednesday 28 November 2007 15:08:50 Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> On 28.11.07 07:30:29, Rex Dieter wrote:
> > Andras Mantia wrote:
> > >
> > > But doing a release just for the shake of the release party is equally
> > > silly. :)
> >
> > So, do *you* want to be the one to tell the event organizers that all
> > their hard work and effort to pull the event together is now in
> > jeopardy?  Not I.
>
> Huh? Why is their effort wasted if the release happens on Feb. 4th or
> some such? They can still pull off a release party. Its not like the
> party is going to be months before the release.
>
> IMHO its going to be much worse to do a release before the party,
> regardless of the state of KDE4. Reviews will rip KDE4 apart if the
> release is done that way and the released KDE 4.0.0 is not in a state
> thats worth a release.

From a PR point of view, and for the sake of the release party, KDE is in a
state where we'd be able to present it at such an event.

I don't share your opinion on what's worse, party before release or party
after release. You really want to have the release out when you're showing it
to the public (which is what the event is all about, Industry, Press and
Community). Telling them that it's not released and thus still very much
vapourware would be "quite unfortunate" (read "sucks").
--
sebas