Delaying 4.0?

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Wed Nov 28 15:23:58 CET 2007

On Wednesday 28 November 2007 14:30:29 Rex Dieter wrote:
> Andras Mantia wrote:
> > On Wednesday 28 November 2007, Rex Dieter wrote:
> >> If this is absolutely the last slip, sure.  Otherwise, the release
> >> party scheduled for January 17 will look pretty silly.
> >
> > But doing a release just for the shake of the release party is equally
> > silly. :)
>
> So, do *you* want to be the one to tell the event organizers that all
> their hard work and effort to pull the event together is now in
> jeopardy?  Not I.
>
> Regardless, I'd argue they should be in the loop here in any discussions
> that involve any further delays in the release schedule. (CC'ing
> kde-promo?)

Regardless of those "Wag the Dog"-like [1] issues, I *do* think that releasing
in January is both achievable and makes sense. We've been over this more than
once, but let me state it again:

Not releasing doesn't help us. We need to get our code out to users and third
party developers.

Also, the desktop is in a really good state already, at least for my limited
use case. I'm using KDE4 95% of the time, and I really feel comfortable with
it. In fact, i would've expected far more crashes, instability and
annoyances, even for a 4.0 release. I'm totally in love with applications
like Kate, Dolphin, Konsole. And also konqi is catching up. Yesterday, I was
totally thrilled when I logged in that konqueror kindly restored the website
I had surfing earlier. So cool :-)

And yes, by all means, let's not slip more than that. Shifting the release
into January means that we'll *really* release then. And that in turn doesn't
mean "let's release crap", but means "let's fix it until then" so we can
release it. This is kind of our (I count myself as developer ;-))
responsibility towards those that put a lot of time, effort and love into
creating appropriate PR for KDE 4.0.

My personal plans for helping to make this happen is to keep a good overview
of things, nagging people (who will hate me in return for that!) and trying
to get KDE 4.0 releasable, also by trying to contribute technically (but
that's somewhat limited, since I still only do babysteps at C++). After it's
out, we'll all relax again and go back to fun-hacking, using and abusing our
magnificent new libs and frameworks. Looking forward to that, btw.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wag_the_dog
--
sebas