KDE Dev Platform Status

Stephan Kulow coolo at kde.org
Sun Nov 25 10:03:03 CET 2007

Am Sonntag 25 November 2007 schrieb Albert Astals Cid:
> A Diumenge 25 Novembre 2007, Allen Winter va escriure:
> > Howdy,
> >
> > Are we willing to permit BIC changes to the Dev Platform?
>
> The question you need to make yourself is: "Did we release the 4.0.0 for
> the Dev Platform?", techbase says yes, so the answer to that question is no
> BIC changes until 5.0.0
>
> Obviously you can ignore that we said to have released 4.0.0 for the Dev
> Platform and call it "that was our 4.0.0 joke platform" and then allow BIC
> changes.

That much about the theory. In practise no-one will develop KDE4 applications
at this point and is not willing to touch them anymore, so BIC should not
matter at all.

As long as KDE4 isn't installed on people's machines, ISVs (3rd party
developers) won't ship binaries linked against it to people, so people won't
care if updating KDE4 breaks apps that do not exist.

SIC are a big problem though. But for BC, you have to keep in mind what you're
doing it for, not just follow the rules because they've always been followed.

Greetings, Stephan