tagged KDE 3.96

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Thu Nov 15 13:16:46 CET 2007

On Thursday 15 November 2007 12:46:01 Stephan Kulow wrote:
> So executive summary: If you plan for only one RC, you can just as well
> plan KDE 4.0.1 right away.

Good points there.

What we do with an -rc is

- raise expectations
- get more people to try it
- communicate that we're more confident in this than any earlier beta

While I do like the simplicity of not doing an RC, Stephan's valid points do
convince me that if we deem 11-ish December (or December at all) doable for
4.0, we should do an RC, preferably now.

Especially during the last days, a lot of those kinks have been worked out and
the desktop is really becoming something I'm comfortable to use, if with the
occasional kde3 app. We know there are some showstoppers left, but doing
an -rc now would alarm those that then realise that if they don't fix things
now, 4.0 will not have it fixed. I think we can greatly benefit from this
when stabilising 4.0.

If we release 'yet another beta', the alarming effect will be much less. Given
the tight schedule, I think we need this. Not doing an RC at all doesn't help
here either.
--
sebas