beta5 or rc1

Torsten Rahn torsten.rahn at credativ.de
Mon Nov 12 20:49:08 CET 2007

Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> I would also see a release rather sooner than later.

That's certainly what we all would like to see. Still we need to check whether
it's possible to do that without releasing seriously broken stuff. Because
that would even be worse PR. Look up

rushed "Gnome 1.0"

on the internet. Back then they rushed the release out of the door just for an
announcement during LinuxWorld (and Redhat 6.0 inclusion). And this did hurt
them a lot more than the "advantage" of  being "right in time". Yes, many
people remember them releasing during LinuxWorld however the same and even
more people remember that this release was really really bad.

Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> okular still can't print (although it seems that might be done *soon*) so i
> agree

Well at the current point of time there is no way to get heard if you won't
get more specific and commit yourself on an exact point of time.
Tell a reasonably estimated date when printing will be done (unless you get
hit by a car) and chances are much higher that okular's showstoppers can get
considered while planning the release. So are you able to tell whether
printing will be ready by Wednesday 21st (just like plasma will have stuff
ironed out by then) ?

Aaron Seigo wrote:
> this is hardly a showstopper. not painting menus or tab pages would be; so
> let's try not to distract the limited resources we have working on these

I fully agree.

If people who are responsible for the last few real showstoppers can up to
their best knowledge be sure that the last few showstoppers will be ironed
out by next wednesday then we should move the RC1 to Wednesday 21st.

Given that a higher RC release frequency is pretty normal for software
development I'd suggest that we still stick with the RC2 milestone Dec. 5th.
As all real showstoppers should be ironed out with RC1 I don't expect that we
need a full three weeks for the next RC 2 release after (unless there are any
organizational issues left).

Torsten
--
 Torsten Rahn

 Tel.: 0 21 61 - 46 43 - 192

credativ GmbH, HRB Mönchengladbach 12080
Hohenzollernstr. 133, 41061 Mönchengladbach
Geschäftsführung: Dr. Michael Meskes, Jörg Folz