beta5 or rc1

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Mon Nov 12 14:37:10 CET 2007

On 12.11.07 13:48:19, Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> On Monday 12 November 2007 13:01:42 Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> > > Did we make oxygen (the style) a showstopper?  I thought we'd look at the
> > > quality when nearing a release and just ship with plastique as default if
> > > oxygen was not good enough.
> >
> > In the meantime oxygen was made the default in kdelibs, appparently
> > #oxygen agreed that would be a good idea. Maybe that should be changed
> > back...
> >
> > > Next to that; you should add your found bugs (or, missing feature ;) to
> > > http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Oxygen/StyleWinDec
> >
> > I think the known problems are already there, the problem is getting
> > them fixed
>
> To me it looks like all problems have been taken care of, but this one. Check
> the page, in the known bugs section
>
> - one showstopper attributed to Qt (I think a patch is already in qt-copy),
> - one showstopper issue pending review of a patch by the KHTML team
> - one issue is a pending review of color roles compliance
> - one is the QToolBox issue
>
> That's really 'only' two showstoppers left, I call this great progress. It'd
> be stupid if we switched back to plastique. Oxygen is making excellent
> progress, and it already feels much better than plastik in day-to-day usage.

You're overlooking that there are quite some incoming bugs that have no
yet been categorized.

Also I'd call vertical tabs and vertical titles in dockwidgets a
showstopper as well. The first means you don't know where one tab starts
and another ends. The second makes it impossible to read the dockwidget
title.

Apart from that the oxygen windeco (AFAIK) doesn't adhere to the kde
color scheme completely (it ignores the titlebar color that is set).
There's a bugreport for that, but I can't find it right now.

And it hasn't been the default style in any of the betas KDE released,
which means less testing.

Oxygen should be in a releasable state right now, simply because its
part of the KDE platform and as far as I can see its not.

Andreas

PS: The work that the two or three people working on Oxygen (especially
the KStyle) managed to do in the last 3 months is amazing. I'm not
saying they didn't do enough, I'm saying the time wasn't enough for the
complete rewrite that had to happen.

--
Everything will be just tickety-boo today.