Move most of kdesupport to extragear

Cornelius Schumacher schumacher at kde.org
Sun Nov 11 00:32:05 CET 2007

On Saturday 10 November 2007 16:14:04 Tom Albers wrote:

> As a conclusion to the thread this week I want to propose to move
> everything   except kdewin32   to extragear/libs.

I don't think that extragear/libs is the right place for the libs in
kdesupport. In my view dependencies are the main criteria for the modules.
Putting kdesupport into extragear would create a cyclic dependency, which is
a horror for everybody concerned with building or packaging software. So
keeping the stuff which is a prerequisite but independent of the KDE platform
in kdesupport does make sense. The software in extragear depends on the KDE
platform, that makes sense as well. But mixing the two seems to be a call for
trouble.

We should make very clear what the policy for kdesupport is, which components
are needed for what and what release policies and schedules apply.

So my feeling is that it's a matter of documentation, not moving code to other
modules.