[V2.0] KDE4.0.0 Release Roadmap

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Mon Mar 12 10:02:38 CET 2007

On Sunday 11 March 2007 23:36:20 Tom Albers wrote:
> > - Calling the release "4.0.0" with the two zeros looks strange. Wouldn't
> > it be more common to call it "4.0"?
>
> This is a real problem I think. On several mailinglists I see that people
> are expecting 4.0.0 to be better than 3.5.6. I'm a bit scared that
> expectations are too high. Adding an extra 0 might help here?

I don't really think that this helps. (Well, it *does* help us if we're
targetting a 4.0.4 release at some point!)

Much more important is getting the messaging for this right. This is at this
point actively being discussed on the marketing list, and the general
direction probably looks like:

- 4.0 is not 4.x (i.e. features of KDE4 might not be ready for 4.0 but will
  make it in later)
- 4.0 is the beginning of the KDE4 experience for the user

I'd drop the 4.0.0 thing, it'll probably only cause extra confusion. Getting
the expectation right is a bit more complex than adding a .0, this is
something that the Marketing Team should deal with.
--
sebas

Microsoft is not the Borg collective. The Borg collective has got proper
networking.