[RFC] Draft Roadmap for KDE 4.0

Gunnar Schmi Dt gunnar at schmi-dt.de
Thu Mar 8 12:23:34 CET 2007

Hello,

On Wednesday 07 March 2007 21:54, Dirk Mueller wrote:
> On Wednesday, 7. March 2007, Gunnar Schmi Dt wrote:
> > I know that from an accessibility point of view it is necessary that
> > KDE 4.0 depends on Qt 4.3 because the support for assistive
> > technologies will only be available for that version.
>
> No, it means that KDE 4.0 + kde accessibility has to work with Qt 4.3.
> it doesn't mean that it has to depend on it.

Well, actually some parts of KDE have to depend on Qt 4.3. We speak about
some code in the KDE libraries that provides accessibility information for
those standard KDE widgets that are not based on similar Qt widgets (and
also about code in each KDE application that provides the same
accessibility information for their custom widgets). Qt 4.3 uses these
accessibility information in order to inform assistive technologies (such
as screen readers or screen magnifiers) what the user interface looks
like.

> But thanks for your concern. do you consider it an option that the kde
> support for those assistive technologies is ready by the proposed
> schedule deadlines?

Implementing the accessibility information can only start after Qt 4.3 is
released (because only then we know what the interfaces that are used in
order to inform Qt about the accessibility information look like).
Unfortunately, we currently have only very few developers in the KDE
accessibility project, so we will need the help of other developers.
Originally I wanted to use aKademy for implementing the accessibility
information, but I guess that according to the proposed schedule this
needs to be done earlier.

In any case the the implementation of the accessibility information might
not be the only field where the HCI working group wants to give feedback.
I will write a mail to them, so that they are informed about our plans.

Gunnar Schmi Dt

--
Co-maintainer of the KDE Accessibility Project
Maintainer of the kdeaccessibility package