[RFC] Draft Roadmap for KDE 4.0

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Tue Mar 6 10:41:15 CET 2007

On Tuesday 06 March 2007, Stephan Kulow wrote:

> I like Tom's approach: Define a roadmap with milestones and set dates to
> it. If a milestone slips, define if you don't care about the milestone or
> the date.

AOL. People work towards a date: right now we're way too much in tinker-tinker
mode. It's fun to hack, it's fun to get publicity and we're avoiding all the
nastiness of actually having people have our software on their computers. But
for me, as an application hacker, kdelibs is good enough. Isn't most of the
cleanup work done? At least that's my impression. Let it stabilize, define a
mechanism to add more functionality later -- so the platform can grow after
the release without breaking old applications. And Tom's milestones look good
to me, although I think the day for the first beta (or alpha, I'm not
particular) should be June 30.

Sometimes I'm thinking that koffice2 will be ready before kde4... My own
deadline for a presentable Krita 2.0, by the way, is May 5th, because then
Cyrille and me are going to present it at the Libre Graphics Meeting.

--
Boudewijn Rempt
http://www.valdyas.org/fading/index.cgi