[RFC] Draft Roadmap for KDE 4.0

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Tue Mar 6 20:45:04 CET 2007

On Tuesday 06 March 2007, Benjamin Reed wrote:
> Andras Mantia wrote:
> > On Tuesday 06 March 2007, Cyrille Berger wrote:
> >> If you tell them that it will be possible to break ABI/API between
> >> the release of  4.0 and 4.1 I am sure they will find it reasonnable
> >> ;) (I am sure everyone is eager to see something to be released).
> >
> > Yeah, but in that case we can can the release 3.9 or pre-4.0 if the BC
> > rule comes in only after 4.1. ;-)
>
> Yeah, I really dislike calling it 4.0 then; 4.0 implies a contract with
> application developers that the ABI is stable and will continue to be
> supported throughout that major version number series.
>
> "We want applications to start using our libraries!  Although...  We'll
> break them between now and 6 months from now when the *real* KDE4 comes
> out."

I think that's splitting straws -- it's not important compared to getting a
schedule and getting people out of tinker mode and into release mode. A month
should be fine to define the remaining api replacements. Later api changes
should, if possible, be in the form of additions instead of replacements.

If we don't get into release mode _soon_, it'll be Qt5 times before we can
release. That's, in my book, a failure.

--
Boudewijn Rempt
http://www.valdyas.org/fading/index.cgi