Renaming the next beta to alpha2?

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Mon Jun 18 19:43:17 CEST 2007

On Monday 18 June 2007 19:16:33 Tom Albers wrote:
> Op zo 17 jun 2007 03:31 schreef u:
> > On Sunday 17 June 2007, tomalbers at kde.nl wrote:
> > > ok, the question is if we can deliver what a user expects from a beta,
> > > a complete desktop with some small bugs.
> >
> > give me a moment to recover from laughing.
> >
> > whew.. ok. so. the question is whether the user expectations are
> > unrealistic and we don't care or whether we should try and pander to
> > these expectations.
>
> I'm a bit surprised this thread has not had any more reactions. I would
> love to know what Sebas, Wade, Coolo, Dirk, David, Laurent, Pino and others
> think.

I feel that we should freeze the libs and move into app development
*right_now* (mostly what coolo said on core-devel yesterday). For really
important stuff that surfaces in the process of stabilising and getting apps
in place, it should be possible to make exceptions to the freeze.

Whether we want to call it alpha or beta, I don't know. It's not
feature-complete from an application's point of view, but then, the release
schedule is not clear on what's meant by a 'beta'. What date do others have
in mind for a "total feature freeze, only bugfixes from now on"?

I do also feel that I'm fairly inexperienced with this kind of stuff, never
followed a big release like this really closely. That said, I'm quite
confident in the state of what's there right now.
--
sebas

The world is moving so fast these days that the man who says it can't be done
is generally interrupted by someone doing it. - E. Hubbard