Renaming the next beta to alpha2?

Tom Albers tomalbers at kde.nl
Sun Jun 17 02:27:11 CEST 2007

Hello,

richmore, frederikh, deveagle, tsdgeos and me had a -spontanious- discussion on irc about the current state of kde in relation to the upcoming beta. Some of them feel we are far from ready for a public beta release. It seems it is basically not possible to run a kde4 desktop on a daily base currently and large parts of kdelibs are not yet ready for publications. For example all the file dialogs, we also know we have some problems with kssl.

Also releasing a beta without key-applications seems a bit weird. Also raised was the problem that kde3 apps can not run a kde4 desktop integrated, because for example the dcop->dbus transition. If you agree to all points is another question, the main question is 'are we ready to ship a public beta'. Some people obviously doubt that.

I'm unable to determine it myself currently. I will look at it next weekend I hope. If anyone has an opinion, please state it.

One of the proposals is:
- rename the upcoming beta to alpha2
- delay the beta sequence to next month (and determine if it is ready for that name by that date).
- keep bic mondays and/or during akademy provide a branched kdelibs for the app developers ( i dont like it much, but it is an option so both kdelibs hackers and app hackers don't go fightimg fysically during akademy).

Best,

Toma