Fwd: Re: [Kde-extra-gear] Farewell, so long, the four is coming ...

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Mon Jun 4 19:02:31 CEST 2007

trying this again =)

On Saturday 02 June 2007, Aurélien Gâteau wrote:
> On Friday 01 June 2007 00:21:45 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > i actually took a look at the latest and greatest gwenview in playground
> > just yesterday =) it isn't ready for prime time(tm) usage yet, but the
> > interface is a very nice step forward. however, we now have until july 25
> > to finish out features and what not.
> >
> > i would very much like to see gwenview in kdegraphics, but leave it up to
> > you to provide guidance as whether or not the july 25 date is realistic
> > for you.
> >
> > if it isn't, we'll move it in for 4.1, and move it to extragear for 4.0.
> > we can even release it as part of extragear for 4.0 before doing the
> > switch-a-roo into kdegraphics proper for 4.1.
>
> Nice to hear you took a look at the latest Gwenview, even nicer to hear you
> liked what you saw :-). But as you said, it's not ready for prime time
> usage yet.
>
> To decide whether I can make it ready for july 25, we need to define what
> needs to be done so that Gwenview can be considered ready for prime time
> usage. Here is a list of the tasks I plan to work on in the next days:
>
> Critical:
> - Implement a nicer item delegate for the thumbnail view.
> - Add basic file operations (copy, move, link, rename, delete).
> - Add rotation support to the image KPart.
> - Add save support.
> - Basic slideshow feature.
>
> Really wanted:
> - Ability to change sort order in thumbnail view.
> - Drag image to scroll.
>
> Would be nice:
> - Crop tool.
> - Resize tool.
> - Showing EXIF info in sidebar.
> - Image preloading.
> - Progressive image loading.
> - Ability to select what information to display below thumbnails.
>
> I am confident I can implement all critical tasks for july 25, but I would
> like to know if you think about other critical tasks I may have missed.

i think that's everything; the only hitch is that june 1 was yesterday and
that was the deadling for moving apps into modules. i'm cc'ing the release
team to see if it is already to 'svn mv' it over now; worst case scenario is
that it -doesn't- get ready in time, we keep kuickshow where it is and
disable gwenview from the build.

the discussion to move gwenview into the build happened on k-c-d some time ago
i believe, so that's not an issue.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se