Are We Ready? Beta1 vs. Alpha3

Cornelius Schumacher schumacher at
Mon Jul 23 00:36:14 CEST 2007

On Monday 23 July 2007 00:00, Tom Albers wrote:
> Op za 21 jul 2007 18:44 schreef u:
> >
> > No, I don't think we are ready for a beta release and the API + Feature
> > Freeze that goes with a beta release.
> >
> > I think we should tag an Alpha3 on 25 July and extend our freeze dates
> > forward another month.
> >
> > Then try again for a Beta1 on 25 Aug.
> >
> > This probably means delaying KDE 4.0 for at least 1 month, ie. 23 Nov.
> >
> > If we do this, I'd like some help putting together a "kdelibs to-do"
> > that lists all the things we need done in kdelibs before the API freeze.
> >
> > Comments?
> > -Allen
> We already talked this over on irc together, but to state it publically: I
> completely agree with above. So +1 from me. I also feel we should do at
> least two beta's, so it indeed means at least a month delay for the final
> release.

I have no specific opinion about whether it's good to delay the release or not 
right now, as I'm not familiar enough with the current state of the code. But 
if we delay the release can we please be very explicit why we do that and 
what the criteria are, so we can make sure that it doesn't happen again and 

My gut feeling is that everything which is not in kdelibs should not be a 
reason to delay the release.

As somebody who does some third-party KDE application development I have to 
say that it's endlessly frustrating to not be able to make use of Qt4/KDE4 
because there is no stable kdelibs 4 release. I would rather like to see the 
KDE 4 desktop itself and its applications emerge during the subsequent 
releases than blocking third-party apps development any longer.

Cornelius Schumacher <schumacher at>

More information about the release-team mailing list