the "gamma" proposal - details that need working out

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Sun Jul 15 02:27:03 CEST 2007

On Saturday 14 July 2007, Alexander Dymo wrote:
> On 7/11/07, Tom Albers <tomalbers at kde.nl> wrote:
> > Hehe, that would be too easy ;-)
> > Seriously, in that case when an additional delay happens, we can not do a
> > release party, so we have to be finished before that.
>
> So the only reason is to have a release party?

it'll hopefully be a bit more than a party.

> > Besides, there are people counting on us to release around that time.
> > Delaying the release for 3 months would hurt those people.
>
> Who are those people? Some commercial companies?

everyone who develops apps with kde, including open source developers as well
as, yes, companies. short changing people unnecessarily who support us would
be rather short sighted of us =)

personally, having thought about it throughout the day today i keep coming
back to this thought:

		we're overcomplicating it on ourselves.

honestly, i'm sure we could get away with doing the release in october (or
december, or whatever) and the big "coming out" event in january. worst case
scenario:

4.0 is out in january. verdict: we're screwed anyways ;) and we can just turn
it into a pre-launch event. how much later than jan could it be coming out
anyways?

less worst case:

we actually get it out right on oct 23 and we have a 3 month wait between the
release and the big blow out event for press and fans alike. i don't think
that's such a big problem.

the problem that we were ostensibly trying to solve is avoiding losing the
momentum that comes with the pent-up expectations... but i don't think we'd
suffer all that much from a delay between release and the Big Announcement
Event.

it would certainly end these discussions, make it easier to explain to the
community and just mean that we'd have to be clear what we were doing with
the Big Event, namely holding the official coming out party for kde4.

if we -really- got our act together it could also mean that we could announce
the release date for 4.1 at the event. it may also make it easier to
communicate that 4.0 really is just the beginning; that the big story is kde4
while 4.0 is just stop along the way.

yes, it's all a bit non-traditional, but then we're non-traditional to our
kore. ;)

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se