the "gamma" proposal - details that need working out

Alexander Dymo dymo at ukrpost.ua
Mon Jul 9 22:37:30 CEST 2007

On 7/6/07, Troy Unrau <troy.unrau at gmail.com> wrote:
> The proposal is to add another layer to the release stack called 'gamma' or
> similar.  The release cycle up until Oct 23rd would remain unchanged, except
> perhaps the RC sections might need to be renamed as gamma candidate, for
> instance.

Sorry for bringing up this question again, but I have the impression
that old-style "release when ready" supporters got shut up too often
now.
As a russian saying states, do not call the devil your brother... Why
inventing names instead of shifting the schedule by 3 months?

> We will do the
> marketing to ensure that the opensource community knows that they can use
> the gamma while preparing a big splash for 4.0.0 three months later.

Why don't just let people more time to code to ensure 4.0.0 is good
instead of doing marketing?

PS: I do know all the reasons why 4.0 has to be shipped in October already