Shipping a cursor theme with KDE

Kevin Ottens ervin at kde.org
Wed Dec 26 19:02:22 CET 2007

Le jeudi 27 décembre 2007, Anne-Marie Mahfouf a écrit :
> This is a request for including new artwork for 4.0, a new cursor
> theme (which cannot break anything)

Actually it's a wrong assumption, especially in the case of cursors which
could trigger bugs in video drivers (already happened to me in the past,
having nice artifacts on screen).

Personally I'm against this entering for 4.0, and that for several reasons:
1) We got too many exceptions already

2) This one comes particularly late in the cycle, and had no testing in user
setups so we don't know if it triggers something odd somewhere (see my first
paragraph). I guess we're pushing the limits a lot with the compositing and
plasma already, no need to add one more potential issue at the last minute.

2bis) It's related to testing and user feedback... But anybody knows how it
look in a default KDE4 setup? In the whole session? The default is very
white-ish with almost no contrast and outline, it could be considered as
close to invisible on a window with the Oxygen widget style by many people.
Just toyed a bit with it so I can't be sure, I'd need to use it at least a
couple of weeks to have a clear opinion here.

3) If you look at it it's not even finished, that'd mean "yet another
unfinished thing we promise to finish in time" entering the release...

4) On a more social aspect, it's giving the wrong signal to people. We had a
lot of special cases and exceptions in the release cycle. That would mean one
more of those, although I could understand exceptions for plasma and to some
extend to the oxygen widget style because they were announced as something we
wanted in the release and as showstopper... This one is just not a
showstopper, and pops up at the last minute.

I'm all for it in 4.1, once it's finished... but targetting 4.0 just looks
irresponsible for me.

Regards.
Ne font reculer l'ignorance."