Discussion about 4.1 timeframe (was Re: What to do about Kompare?)

Cyrille Berger cberger at cberger.net
Fri Dec 14 15:49:24 CET 2007

On Friday 14 December 2007, Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> Are you sure about that? I don't know how SuSE or RedHat and others do
> their releases but I'd expect them to need at least 2 or rather 4 weeks
> after a KDE 4.1 release until its patched up/fixed for inclusion in the
> next release. So if the next release of a distro X is planned for
> mid-june a release in mid-may would be needed. Meaning we'd effectively
> have 1.5 months non-frozen trunk/ thats really very little time.
I wouldn't plan software release in function of what distributions plans to do
or plans no to do or might plan to do. There are distributions being relesed
all the time. Anyway, most will offer backport of KDE4.1 for their current
release. So I think you should focus on picking the best solution for KDE 4.1
to be the KDE 4 that kick KDE 3's ass (not that KDE 4.0 isn't good, but it's
not better than KDE 3.5 in all area). While I do agree that 4.1 should be set
at a fix date, I do think the schedule should ensure that application like
KMail which were left aside for 4.0, are able to deliver in 4.1.

--
Cyrille Berger