Discussion about 4.1 timeframe (was Re: What to do about Kompare?)

Thomas Zander zander at kde.org
Thu Dec 13 19:27:15 CET 2007

On Thursday 13 December 2007 18:25:16 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > After 4.1, we should probably experiment with the 6 month release
> > schedule that seems to be working for other projects,
>
> for certain values of "working". for at least one major project, there
> was an immediate and noticeable decline in both mailing list traffic and
> commit rates when a 6 month cycle was adopted.

I would expect that when more developers start to become comfortable with
distributed srm systems (like git) this starts to be easier and we can
avoid such problems.
Therefor I think we should let the progress of people pushing their stuff
into repos, as they want, drive the strictness of our release schedule. And
vice versa.

In other words; let people get comfortable with the techniques and
technology to enable this much easier at a similar pace as we move to more
strict time-based releases.

--
Thomas Zander