What to do about Kompare?

Mauricio Piacentini piacentini at kde.org
Thu Dec 13 12:35:29 CET 2007

 >I think we might want to bump pretty quickly to a 4.1 release and 
 >that's when we can enable it again (and move some games and kaider and 
 >maybe the ssl tree).

Yes, I also think we should not wait more than 3-4 months, and plan 4.1 
to the end of April, or May. We all know 4.0 is a release that will not 
have everything we need, but at this time we need to have it out :

a) with only the components that are working and have been minimally tested
b) soon so that the tree can open again, for new strings, new ports, new 

I think it is perfectly fine to have a KDE 4.0 release without kompare, 
pimlibs or pim, as long as people can still do what they do right now, 
and continue to use the KDE 3.5 versions of these apps. It is way better 
than rushing out a semi-tested port just to have it in 4.0. That is one 
of the reasons why we left some games out even if they are kind of 
working (atlantik and backgammon).

Please understand that I am not advocating that we release broken stuff 
just for the sake of meeting a deadline. I think we need to release just 
what is ready, and tell people to continue using the KDE 3.5.x versions 
of what is not ready yet. A subtle difference in approach, but if we 
communicate this clearly, potential frustrations ("Why do I miss a new 
KMail?") can be substituted by potential rewards ("Woohoo! 4.0 is out. I 
already got a new desktop, plasmoids, new 
Kate/Konqueror/Dolphin/Okular/games/etc! I can not wait for the rest 
that will follow in 4.1!")
And in 4.1, we reap the benefits again: "yeah, now a new KMail, more 
games, Kompare! Things are looking better at each release, KDE is in a 

This is exactly what we need. A change of mood and energy patterns in 
the project, and it will all start to flow again positively after the 

Mauricio Piacentini

More information about the release-team mailing list