What to do about Kompare?

Mauricio Piacentini piacentini at kde.org
Thu Dec 13 12:35:29 CET 2007

 >I think we might want to bump pretty quickly to a 4.1 release and
 >that's when we can enable it again (and move some games and kaider and
 >maybe the ssl tree).

Yes, I also think we should not wait more than 3-4 months, and plan 4.1
to the end of April, or May. We all know 4.0 is a release that will not
have everything we need, but at this time we need to have it out :

a) with only the components that are working and have been minimally tested
b) soon so that the tree can open again, for new strings, new ports, new
apps

I think it is perfectly fine to have a KDE 4.0 release without kompare,
pimlibs or pim, as long as people can still do what they do right now,
and continue to use the KDE 3.5 versions of these apps. It is way better
than rushing out a semi-tested port just to have it in 4.0. That is one
of the reasons why we left some games out even if they are kind of
working (atlantik and backgammon).

Please understand that I am not advocating that we release broken stuff
just for the sake of meeting a deadline. I think we need to release just
what is ready, and tell people to continue using the KDE 3.5.x versions
of what is not ready yet. A subtle difference in approach, but if we
communicate this clearly, potential frustrations ("Why do I miss a new
KMail?") can be substituted by potential rewards ("Woohoo! 4.0 is out. I
already got a new desktop, plasmoids, new
Kate/Konqueror/Dolphin/Okular/games/etc! I can not wait for the rest
that will follow in 4.1!")
And in 4.1, we reap the benefits again: "yeah, now a new KMail, more
games, Kompare! Things are looking better at each release, KDE is in a
roll."

This is exactly what we need. A change of mood and energy patterns in
the project, and it will all start to flow again positively after the
release.

Regards,
Mauricio Piacentini