kdeutils maintainer? khexedit program unmaintained

Friedrich W. H. Kossebau kossebau at kde.org
Tue Dec 4 00:23:53 CET 2007

Hi Allen,

Am Montag, 3. Dezember 2007, um 23:11 Uhr, schrieb Allen Winter:
> On Friday 30 November 2007 22:12:21 Allen Winter wrote:
> > On Friday 30 November 2007 14:34:51 Friedrich W. H. Kossebau wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > from
> > > http://techbase.kde.org/Schedules/KDE4/4.0_Module_Status#Module_Status
> > > I read there is no Release Maintainer for kdeutils. So who
> > > decides/cares there? I guess this list, then.
> >
> > The Release Team, so I'll copy this over to our mailing list.

Alright, am subscribed there, too.

> > > With KHexEdit currently there is a tricky situation. Under
> > > kdeutils/khexedit live two separate projects, the program KHexEdit and
> > > the binary editor plugin (see the subdirs core, gui, parts), project
> > > name Okteta*.  I personally only care for Okteta, but not for the
> > > program (see footnote why).
> > >
> > > Right now KHexEdit is roughly ported and runs, but is not fully
> > > functional (painting draws outside of PaintEvent, view tabs running
> > > wild and crash the program, html/rtf export not working). So not really
> > > in release state (yet). Two solutions:
> > > 1. Exclude from release and hope for me getting Okteta ready for the
> > > next one. 2. Search maintainer and fix KHexEdit.
> > >
> > > I favour #1 (one program to rule things, no conflicts ;) But I
> > > understand those who like #2 more, just tell me what you think.
> > > In case most like #2 more I would blog and mail a maintainer query to
> > > Danny for inclusion in the digest.
> > >
> > > So?
> > >
> > > * Both projects share no code, as the plugin was written from scratch.
> > > Instead of modifying KHexEdit to make use of the libs, I decided to
> > > write a program also from scratch, using the libs. I am only halfway
> > > done, see playground/utils/okteta. Bookmarks, Undo, and embedded search
> > > dialog are still missing to match KHexEdit's features, but else looks
> > > good.
> > >
> > > Friedrich
> >
> > If khexedit (the application) is truly terrible and unmaintained then we
> > shouldn't release it.  We should remove khexedit from kdeutils and plan
> > on Okteta for 4.1. In the meantime, Okteta should be developed in
> > playground.
> > IOW: I agree with option 1.
> >
> > This is the same plan we are following for KAider replacing KBabel.

Did someone besides me try KHexEdit? I might be wrong with my impression and
biased (well, the latter I am for sure ;).

> So should I add a kdeutils table to the Module Status page
> saying that khexedit will be removed for 4.0 and that
> okteta will be new in 4.1??
>
> Freidrich: I assume you will be happy to do the khexedit move to
> unmaintained/4?

Not happy (heh, this is killing/removing a program which is around since
1999), but I would do.

As the Okteta libs and KParts living in subdirs of KHexEdit (core/, gui/ and
parts/) are maintained, by me, I would keep them there, just moving the files
in the toplevel dir (and pics) which belong to the KHexEdit program.
The parts are implementing the modul interfaces from
kdelibs/interfaces/khexedit/, which are used at least by KPilot and KDevelop
(http://lxr.kde.org/ident?i=BytesEditInterface).

I guess renaming kdeutils/khexedit/ to kdeutils/okteta after that would match
the content left in there, but it would make too many people unhappy, that
close to a release, right? Too sad.
Moving to extragear, to follow the path of KAider, right now would be similar
complicated...

I would svn mv kdeutils/khexedit/*  -N (or similar) to where exactly?

Friedrich