Release dates/nomenclature

Thomas Zander zander at kde.org
Tue Aug 28 16:36:34 CEST 2007

Hi Luciano,
good question that is super important for our overall release strategy.

On Tuesday 28 August 2007 12:29:02 Luciano Montanaro wrote:
> Why the long delay between the tag and the announcement?
>
> If the announcement is meant for January 17, the tag could be delayed
> until a week or so before that...

Because of the new reality that the 'customers' of KDE are not just the
users downloading packages. Its also users that want to be able to get a
kubuntu CD shipped to them by email. [1]

In other words; the time is to allow distro's to to their quality control
and actually get the stuff out onto physical media to physical places.

This also factors in the ability for magazines to print articles 'on time'
for our release. Since a typical physical magazine has at least that time
between deadline and being in the shops.

1) Or suse / mandriva / red-hat / etc.
--
Thomas Zander