[rekonq] Multiprocess Rekonq?

Alex Fiestas afiestas at kde.org
Mon Mar 5 00:45:50 UTC 2012

Hi there!

First of all, excuse my ignorance on this topic, I'm pretty much sure
that I'm going to say stupid things in this email so please, pardon
me.

A few days ago I was thinking on working in Rekonq adding support for
Chrome extensions, the api doesn't look too difficult to implement but
what worries me is how extensions will affect Rekonq. Chrome executes
the extensions in a copy of the DOM  in a external process so they can
control what extensions modify and of course chrome won't freeze if an
extension die.

This brought me to the topic of: How can we make Rekonq multiprocess?

WARNING you may find stupid comments below this line
- By porting to Chrome engine and stop using Qt (maybe it isn't possible at all)
- Porting Rekonq to QtWebkit2 (can we modify the DOM with that version
of QtWebkit?)
- Doing our own Webkit

The first sounds stupid to me, but hey I had to said it... The latter
apart from a lot of work, I'm not sure that we want to create our own
fork. So only QtWebkit2 seems a viable option, which brings me to the
next question:

Do we know if we will be able to use QtWebkit2 for creating a desktop
Web Browser? If so, do you have plans for doing it?

Thanks !