[rekonq] [RFC] Draggable Tabs

David Narvaez david.narvaez at computer.org
Wed Feb 15 16:54:18 UTC 2012

Hi all,

As we come close to release Rekonq 0.9, I'm also starting to draft
ideas of things we can implement for Rekonq 0.10 and one of them -
actually the one I'm needing the most - is draggable tabs, as in
taking a tab from one Rekonq window and dropping it in another one.

>From my point of view, this is a natural complement of the Detach Tab
feature, since in my regular use case I start browsing for a topic,
then I have eg. 5 tabs of that topic and I intend to keep reading on a
new window to keep my original window topic-centered so I detach one
of the tabs. Then I'd like to drag the other 4 tabs to the new
instance but, instead, I have to copy & paste the URLs, losing tab
history and precious time.

I've already looked at the places where modifications would need to
go, and this is something I'd be happy to implement but I was
wondering if this is an idea anybody else shares or is already working
on. Also, what's the best way to work on this? I think a patch-based
approach would be tedious as this feature would probably come in a set
of patches rather than in one single patch and reviewing them all in
the Reviewboard could take some time. Instead, I've thought of
starting a new draggable-tabs branch and eventually merging those
changes into master after they have been reviewed by relevant people.

Any thoughts?

David E. Narvaez