[rekonq] An idea for GSoC

Tirtha Chatterjee tirtha.p.chatterjee at gmail.com
Mon Apr 2 06:43:41 UTC 2012

On Mon, Apr 2, 2012 at 10:54 AM, Arjun Basu <arjunkbasu at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am Arjun, an undergraduate student from India. I know this is kind of late
> but I had an idea for GSoC 2012.
>
> The current private browsing currently saves the current session and starts
> a new session and when the private browsing is over , it restores the
> earlier session. I think this can be made of more utility to the user if
> he/she can create "private tabs" in that session only. Private browsing
> would be enabled on that tab only. If this feature is implemented then he
> would have all his open tabs and use the private browsing tab to access some
> sensitive information say in a multi user system where he doesn't want
> others to see his activities. This kind of private tab is available in
> opera.

I really like this idea. However, I am not certain how this can be
done using QtWebkit. Maybe the other developers will be able to
provide some light on that. I'll try to look it up myself.

> I want to implement an app tab like utility present in chromium, firefox and
> opera in rekonq.
I think you have combined two different ideas in the proposal. App
tabs had been implemented as a GCI task in 2010 IIRC correctly, but
was never integrated.

> I don't know whether these ideas are enough for GSoC but I would like
> opinions on these ideas.

Overall, my +1 goes for the in-situ private browsing idea.

> I have good knowledge of C++/Qt and Qt libraries like QGraphicsView. I have
> build rekonq from source and have read the source a bit

Regards
Tirtha Chatterjee
KDE developer
http://wyuka.co.cc/