[rekonq] Re: Favorite in the newtabpae

Andrea Diamantini adjam7 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 23 10:34:46 CET 2011

On Sunday 23 January 2011 07:55:42 Furkan Üzümcü wrote:
> On 23.01.2011 02:08, benjamin.poulain at nokia.com wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > Tonight, Pierre and me were working on the favorite section of the
> > newtabpage. We discussed quite a lot about the concept itself and ended
> > up wondering if that should be there at all.
> >
> > So I would like to start the discussion about this. If we can get to a
> > consensus quickly, maybe we won't have to rewrite the favorite page and
> > we could write something else instead.
> >
> > To have some input:

> > -do you use the favorite page?

Yes.

> > -could/should it be replaced by a special folder of bookmarks?

Yes, why not.

> > -what do you think about a most visited page/topsite instead?

I think this is quite the same, with the difference that in the favorites page,
user decides them, while in this case we have to calculate them all. Anyway,
having now a visit count field in the history, it should not be difficult.

> > -any other idea on what should be the first thing to see when opening a
> > new tab?

Actually, user can just decide what rekonq pages can be shown first. I prefer
this over a "fixed choice".

> I don't really use the favorites page. User would bookmark a page
> instead of marking as favorite. I think replacing it with most visited
> page/topsite would be better.

In general, I'm ok with some eventual changes you'll implement here. I'll give
you just some remarks: bookmarks are shared with konqueror and we should be
able to maintain this. So, in example, in the case of the "special folder",
let user decide what folder and if we can create it, to not have surprises in
the other browser.
In case you change favorites implementation, please provide also a simple
"porting mechanism"  to move old favorites in the new ones.

Have fun.

WEB: http://rekonq.kde.org