[rekonq] quit vs. close

Thomas Zander zander at kde.org
Tue Aug 16 13:33:05 UTC 2011

hi all,

I jumped on IRC today after noticing the new way that rekonq handles its quit
action.
I talked to Felix Rohrbach about it a little and we ended up mostly agreeing
but he wanted me to write an email here to at least get the Ok from Andrea
Diamantini.

The issue at hand here is that rekonq now uses the user action 'quit' to
terminate the process and this means all windows that are open will close.
This turns out to be something that KDE has discussed a lot quite some time
ago and around the KDE3 time decided on the following;
  Each main window that is opened is seen by the user as in instance of the
application.  So if the user presses the 'rekonq' icon in the start menu he
gets a new application showing in front of him.

If the application developer decides to make all those windows reuse the same
process, this will have no effect on the way that the user looks at this and
therefore the process doesn't have to be the same as the 'application'.

So when the user quits his window, only *that* window will be closed.
Try most apps (dolphin for intance) in KDE, they behave this way.  You start 4
dolphins, you have to call quit 4 times.

I would want to suggest rekonq follows this too. Which essentially means a
revert of commits;
725724b15d739233c4a8fc0cd416bf602288d4b2
and
d4d034967f12b31f5a6b9274ec42d4e4fe27571c

As mentioned; Felix was Ok with this, I'm hoping others are too.  Let me know
if its Ok to push these commits :)

Thanks!