[rekonq] Re: Kubuntu's Rekonq Wishlist

todd rme toddrme2178 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 19 17:47:31 CET 2010

On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 10:22 AM, Jonathan Riddell <jriddell at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 04:16:18PM +0100, Jon Ander Pe?alba wrote:
>>      '''Wishlist items'''
>>       * release schedule in line with Kubuntu?
>>    I'm totally against this.
>>    At our current state of development I think that we shouldn't have a
>>    fixed 6 months release. But if we ever decide to do so, we should
>>    schedule in line with KDE, not a specific distribution.
>
> In line with KDE SC would be good too.  This is a wishlist from us, if
> you don't wish the same that's entirely understandable.  But we are
> the only distro to ship Rekonq as default so if you are interested in
> having people using it, it would seem sensible to make sure you don't
> have a release schedule that would for example just miss getting onto the Kubuntu
> CD.
>
> Jonathan

First, that assumes that kubuntu will always be the only distribution
to use it as the default.  If other distributions decide to do this as
well then this argument no loner holds.

Second, this isn't necessarily true, depending on how you define
"distribution".  Chakra ships rekonq as the default as well.

openSUSE is also considering it as the default for their KDE
installation, but that may depend somewhat on how rekonq development
progresses over the next few months.

If rekonq really wants to maximize its exposure it should probably be
focusing on getting the features each distribution requires in order
to make it the default prior to that distribution's release.  So
considering it is already the default in kubuntu, it would be more
advantageous to ignore kubuntu and focus on the next major
distribution to have a release, whatever that may be.

-Todd