[rekonq] Fonts

Markus kamikazow at web.de
Wed May 26 10:53:21 CEST 2010

Am Mittwoch 26 Mai 2010, 10:32:17 schrieb Benjamin Poulain:
> ext Markus wrote:
> > Am Mittwoch 26 Mai 2010, 01:10:49 schrieb Andrea Diamantini:
> >> if QtWebKit tooks these fonts as
> >> default there was probably a good reason :)
> >
> > Two reason actually: Windows and Mac OS X which both ship those fonts by
> > default.
> > But that does not represent the typical X11-based OS / KDE SC
> > installation...
>
> The web is not font agnostic. Lots of webpages are designed with a
> layout relying on Windows fonts.
>
> I would be careful before using the default fonts of KDE to render
> webpages. I expect some page layout to be broken when the metrics are
> very different from Windows fonts.

Seriously? That's your argument? No mainstream Linux distribution even ships
those fonts by default! Defaulting to fonts which are not even installed on
regular people's KDE SC installation does not make any sense at all!
On top of that, it's the f*cking web and not a print medium. The web is not
designed to be pixel accurate. Just change the browser's window size and
everything is off anyway, no matter which font you use.
Additionally, if some idiot wannabe web designer wants pixel-perfect rendering
for his text, he'll define the fonts and font sizes manually and not rely on
browser defaults.

Another counter-argument to yours: Usability.
When I modify the font settings in System Settings, all of my fonts change. No
matter if its GUI fonts or the fonts of text fields. Why on earth not in web
pages?
IMO (I hope Jonathan or another person who can program reads this and writes a
patch) Rekonq should use by default the fonts defined in System Settings.
Rekonq's Fonts prefpane should be kept intact, but receive a checkbox
(unchecked by default) that says
"Override System Settings' font configuration".