[rekonq] Correct method to resync my clone with mainline?

Nikhil Marathe nsm.nikhil at gmail.com
Mon May 17 06:50:14 CEST 2010

On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 7:37 AM,  <lindsay.mathieson at gmail.com> wrote:
> Given my clones changes have been merged with mainline - what's the
> correct way to bring my clone in sync with the other merges on
> mainline? Is there a way to do it via the gitorious web interface?
>
> What I have done is:
>
> git pull git://gitorious.org/rekonq/mainline.git master
> git push git at gitorious.org:~blackpaw/rekonq/blackpaws-rekonq.git

Well since rekonq uses merge requests, what I suggest is to never
really make changes to master.

Always pull master with:
    git pull --rebase origin(which is http://.../mainline.git) master

Then
    git checkout -b bug-fix

Hack hack hack

    git push myclone ( myclone is git at gito.../blackpaws-rekonq.git ) bug-fix

Then create a merge request.

When the merge request is Merged

    git checkout master
    rebase again

If you have a long running feature branch, always rebase master, then
*merge* ( not rebase ) master into the feature branch.

Of course, there might be alternative ways of hacking directly in
master and pushing to your clone and then pulling back, but I'm not
very comfortable with git's rebase ideas, so this is what I do for
safety.

Regards,
Nikhil