[rekonq] Feature Idea

Stefan Buller stefan.buller at gmail.com
Sun Jul 25 19:24:35 CEST 2010

> If you want to do that kind of research, I suggest you to use QGraphicsWebView instead of QWebView to render the web content. With multiple web view being in the same graphics view, it is easier to visually put together a group of pages (like creating stacks out of tabs).
> The interactions with pages also needs improvement to plays with groups. Like the ability to easily select tabs.
>
> At one point or another, Rekonq should move to QGraphicsWebView, in order to use accelerated rendering with OpenGL (Accelerated compositing of WebKit, and WebGL). This might be an opportunity to do research on user experience.
>
> At the last WebKit conference, I had a talk with Benjamin Meyer on this subject. He has tons of ideas on solutions for this problem, it could be interesting to contact him and see if some could apply to Rekonq.
>
> cheers,
> Benjamin

I'm glad to see that there is existing work in this direction, and I'm
definitely interested in seeing were that leads. For me, the pressing
issue is not in how groups are interacted with, but in
saving/loading/hiding groups.

Ivan Čukić said
> The preferred behaviour when activities are concerned is to hide the
> unrelated items (tabs in this case) that belong to another activity.

It's an exciting thought that activities might be sufficient to meet
my needs; I'm looking forward to trying them. I do, however, remain
slightly skeptical. If they work well enough though, that would be
worth screen-casting.

Thanks for your input, and I'm excited to see where rekonq goes.
rekonq strikes me as the only current browser with sufficient
momentum, but free of too much inertia, that it can experiment with
completely new ideas - a valuable thing in such a crucial area as the
web browser.

--
Stefan Buller