[rekonq] Re: Contribute

Benjamin Poulain benjamin.poulain at nokia.com
Mon Dec 13 18:27:07 CET 2010

Hi all,

On 12/13/2010 05:02 PM, ext Pierre Rossi wrote:
>         I'll let Benjamin expand on this but his first email explains
>         why the tabwidget is in the way: "have a single QGraphicsView
>         containing all the pages" (via QGraphicsWebView).
>         In this case, you only want a tab bar giving you an index and
>         everything else would take place in the view. Still a bit
>         curious to hear about the full vision, so Benjamin, feel free to
>         give more details on this.
>

>     I understand what he wants to do, but I don't get why is this better.
>     I'm not against it, just curious about the benefits. If we discuss
>     the pros and cons I'll be glad to help in the implementation :)
>

> Mhh, I feel we have a bit of a misunderstanding here. I don't see how
> you can have a *single* graphics view in all the different pages of a
> QTabWidget (which is a combination of a tabbar and a stackedwidget), and
> I believe that would be the plan, that's where we don't have a
> convenient widget taking care of this for us (like QTabWidget did), and
> we need to design one.

I have one big argument against having multiple graphics view: One of
the benefit we can get from using graphics view is the use of openGL for
3D transforms, transitions and animation (via WebKit's accelerated
compositing), and for WebGL.

This mean the graphics view's viewport would be a QGLWidget, so it would
have a GL context. If we have more than one view per window, we would
end up with plenty of GL context, and GL drivers do not really like that
kind of mess :)

Having one graphics view would enable a few fancy stuff as well. For
example, when passing from one tab to the next (ctrl+tab for example),
we could scroll the view to show the next page. This scroll could be
animated so we see a visual transition between the tabs.

Another fancy thing possible is a "exposé" mode for a window. We could
add an icon to the tabbar to show all the open tab in a single view.

cheers,
Benjamin