[rekonq] How many KDE Platform dependencies does Rekonq have?

andrea diamantini adjam7 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 27 10:47:17 CEST 2010

I don't think it's possible to get rid of our KDE dependencies. All of them
provide us a great bunch of features against their Qt counterparts.
So, "removing KDE" is not an option. Considering that this means
reimplementing all our peculiar parts. Let's do some exampes:

xmlgui & ktoolbar --> the GUI and the toolbars configurability
kwallet --> password management
KIO & kcookiejar --> cookies (In the Qt 4.5.x release, the QNetworkCookieJar
was not "enough" for a decent browser. Don't know about its state now)
KIO --> file download management
KUriFilter --> url resolution && webshortcuts
KCM --> setting dialogs
KBookmarks --> bookmarks management
KIO & KDirLister --> file && ftp protocols
KParts --> file handling (eg, pdf, video, etc)
etc..

The things listed will not work with the s/K/Q sostitution. They have to be
reimplemented from scratch. Some of them (eg: xmlgui, KCM) need big changes
to let the 2 versions (Qt & KDE based) work together.
That said, if someone comes here saying: "we can port in the platform X, the
features A, B, C from kdelibs, but porting the feature D, E will cost us too
much. Please get rid of them or let them optional" beh, we can talk about..

Regards,