[rekonq] Urlbar improvements

Andrea Diamantini adjam7 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 14 00:32:15 CEST 2010

On Tuesday 13 April 2010 23:16:59 megabigbug wrote:
> > - it really resolv and/or ping urls instead of "trying to guess" them.
>
> We don't want ping each time the user press a key in the url bar.
> Is there a way to disable that ?
>
> We don't need this feature for the list of items.

Sure you don't need? I have 4 pcs at home called (without fantasy) "server",
"mediacenter" , "blackbox" (my notebook) and "wifebox" :). And a router called
"router".
Typing one of these names rekonq searched google for them as first result,
while now it rightly loads them.
And I think the same is valid for words like "localhost" and so on. Basically
this is why the isHttp() check is unuseful.

Try to guess user ideas is unsane. And someone will always find one case where
he prefers one solution over the others proposed.
I strongly suggest to just show engines results as they are implemented:
1. Browse (UrlFromUserInput)
2. Search (Google)
3. History
4. Bookmarks
5. dontknow
and just let user do the choice. Maintaining this order we can try re-enabling
the first down selection with no failing resolutions.

> The only interesting thing of KUriFilter is protocol detection: for
> instance gg: kde: http: etc.

Again, no. Please, read again my previous mail. Without it more than one half
of the url typed will fail to load.