[rekonq] Re : rekonq HomePage

Shaneeb Kamran shaneebster at gmail.com
Tue Sep 15 12:55:06 CEST 2009

On Tue, Sep 15, 2009 at 3:42 PM, Andrea Diamantini <adjam7 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tuesday 15 September 2009 10:14:22 Lionel Chauvin wrote:
> > Arf, everybody is destroying Andrea's work.
> >
> > I think it is time to make mockups. We don't know what we want.
>
> eh eh.. I'm not that sure!
> I started this thread just to speak about the "homepage work" and I'm glad
> hear different voices about.
>
> I'm quite sure the HomePage branch (with the last commits that will arrive
> ASAP) is "near" what we want. And it's also a bit customizable.
>
> If we can let it work better that now, changing the technologies behind, we
> just gain speed and likeness :)
>
> The actual preview tools does this:
> a QWebPage loads the site. When the load is finished the content is resized
> 200x150 px and then snapped into a QImage saved in a locale cached path.
>
> So, looking at these 4 days hacking there experience, we have this
> trade-off.
>
> 1)
> If we wanna preview our preferred sites, the actual mechanism is better,
> because it retrieves images just the first time and (from the second) loads
> the
> NewTabPage in a while.
> I'm implementing a mechanism to just refresh thumbs when user changes
> sites.
>
> 2)
> if we wanna preview last visited sites, embedding a QwebView is the best
> way
> to do, because we need every time to reload the "image" and you jump the
> "snapping step" without further ado in reloading and refreshing (it does
> itself).
>
> As we are proposing our preferred sites previews (as discussed in this
> thread
> some days ago) my +1 now goes for WebSnap mechanism. But I'm surely
> interested
> in verifying speed and consistent of the "alternatives".
>

> Regards,
>
> PS: obviously, saying html/js, I mean html/css/js. I'm using an intern
> style
> in the home.html file. And we are actually NOT using js functions (they are
> just in the history/bookmarks newtabpage in master). So just html/css.

Let's see how it works out. By testing and implementing, one method will
surely come out as a better alternative. Waiting for your commits...
But still talking more (:p) I think that even if speed is not an issue we
can still utilize Qt to create animation and stuff to make a better page.
Moreover, speed wont be a concern here since we'll be using native code and
not js. Plus, we can utilize the animation framework in the upcoming Qt 4.6
to do even more of the animation and "beatifying" stuff.

But lets start hacking now...

--

Regards,
Shaneeb Kamran