[rekonq] Rekonq bugs to WONTFIX

Andrea Diamantini adjam7 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 11 01:14:56 CET 2009

On Tuesday 10 November 2009 17:42:44 Jurian Sluiman wrote:
> Hi Andrea,
>
> This day I opened some bugs to Arora and Rekonq to improve usability. I saw
> you immediately closed the Rekonq bugs with WONTFIX. It's really hard to
> discuss about Rekonq because there isn't a central place to communicate, so
>  I mail directly to you (hope you don't mind).

Hi Jurian,
I didn't run to close your bug reports :) I just was around.
To discuss about rekonq there are several places: mailing list
(rekonq at kde.org), IRC channel (#rekonq on freenode), our git store
(http://gitorious.org/rekonq)
No problem for personal mail, but to let other people expose ideas i forwarded
this also to rekonq ml.

> There's one "problem" which I think you need to be aware of. At your blog
> there are several people who placed comments about (usability) improvements
> and possible directions in which Rekonq might go. I think Rekonq has also
>  the opportunity to be the next default KDE browsers because it's very
>  promising.

I read my blog, I'm aware of :)
I'm very happy people seems like my and our work about it.

> Nevertheless at some points it seems discussions aren't allowed. At my bug
> reports I explained how you can improve without compromising the current
>  state of minimalism. And the messages "we do it this way" and "we already
>  decided" are the opposite of creating an open source product which is
>  suitable for as many as possible people.
> Please don't think I write this because "my" bugs are closed, it's a
>  problem I've seen more often.

I'm sorry for the minimalist reply to your bug report and I'll try to explain
you better my (and our) opinion.

Let's start with menubar.
We debated about that for all these two months where we developed 0.3 release.
I surely was not one of the promoter of this idea. And I had some problems at
the beginning to get used with it. How much time? A couple of days, perhaps.
Now I'm ok with it. And I had to admit it is the best option for a browser.
What do you need a menubar to? Give us a response to this question and we (try
to) demonstrate you that you can do it better without it.
About letting it available and hidden (the usual KDE shortcut for some, not
all, apps providing one) we found it was impossible to hide it by default.
Yes, you can hide the first time you see it and you'll no more see it. But you
cannot set it to "hidden" by default. Moreover, moving away from a menubar
implementation, we could move away from xmlgui technology and provide the
most lightweight implementation of a "KDE Window".
That was (and is) my first goal for rekonq.
Last but not least point is about blog comments: I read again *ALL* comments
about my post: I counted just 4-5 people asking for the menubar, while 8
explicitly said they like it without. And other 12 people said things like
"awesome", "great", "fantastic". I seriously think I can add them to the no-
menubar part.

About statusbar.
It has just been decided to implement the usual status bar feature in "another
way". We just need time to. rekonq 0.2 statusbar just had infos like
And we are providing them in a more fashion way. We save space and we provide
that infos. Google Chrome does that way and I guess Firefox will do it in some
next release. All firefox 3.7 and 4.0 mockups does *not* have statusbar.
So, why should we provide it?

> It's perhaps a good idea to provide a decent place to allow feedback from
> users? The bugzilla is really an awful place to discuss about applications,
> because it's merely a bug tracing platform without the ability to discuss
> features.

Surely this is a good idea. Suggestions about? Are you available to manage
this place?

> I hope you reconsider some of my points :)

I hope you understood why for this release we decided this way and why, after
two-three months working about, we'd like releasing a version as we dreamt.

> Best regards,
> Jurian

Best regards,