[rekonq] [RFC] Removing rekonq menubar

Lionel Chauvin megabigbug at yahoo.fr
Wed Jul 29 23:17:17 CEST 2009

> Print, for instance? I see there is a "Print preview" in the menu you can
> get from the "Wrench" icon but no print.

It is on my TODO list to replace "Print preview" by "Print" if we remove the
menubar. Who print a webpage without a preview ?

> Also (and sorry for using the 'mother argument'), but if you take non-tech
> savvy users, how many of them will have the reflex to click on the "wrench"
> icon to find items such as "history"?

When you look at the rekonq UI you don't have many choices ^^
The argument can be reverted, my mother doesn't have the reflex to click on
"File" to print a webpage, nor click on "Edit" to find a keyword in a page. She
will click on the "wrench" if there is only that.

> I think it's also psychological. The menu offers an unwritten guarantee
> that it will present all available actions of the application, while
> traditionally, toolbars offer only a subset.

It is true for an application like koffice, but a browser have a limited number
of actions.

> Additionally, it would also be more consistent with regards to other KDE
> applications, which do offer a menu.

With this kind of arguments, KDE will never change, and will never be used.

> I also wonder what advantage there would in forcefully depriving users of
> this familiar UI element? It's not exactly a huge amount of code...

Yes, this is why I proposed to hide it by default but keep it available in the
begining.

The problem is that we begun to separate "use actions" and "settings actions".
"use actions" in the wrench :) , "settings actions" in the configuration panel.

It is not relevent to keep a menu mixing these action categories.

Thanks :)

(sorry for the duplicated mail Emmanuel)