[rekonq] Re : [RFC] THE ROAD TO REKONQ 0.2

Emmanuel Surleau emmanuel.surleau at gmail.com
Wed Jul 29 20:54:45 CEST 2009

> > For browsing? Completely useless. For changing wallpapers? Very useful.
> > That's one of the features which is pretty common in browsers, shouldn't
> > be too complicated to implement and which increases the integration
> > between Rekonq and KDE.
>
> You can simply open a wish report and someone, one day, will hopefully
> implement it :)

Actually, I tried to implement it, but Webkit didn't cooperate. I'll still file
a wish, though.

> > > Not a good Idea. If you want to do that, it is easier to work on
> > > webkit-part and use Konqueror. It is another way but it is not the one
> > > of Rekonq.
> >
> > Not a good idea technically speaking? You don't think having both a tight
> > Webkit integration and using non-Webkit kparts is a good idea?

> > > Idem
>
> Integrating dolphin and okular mean supporting kparts. We are not using
> webkit kpart, but just webkit Qt API.
> rekonq is not natively projected to support them.

> > > Yes, but less important than KWallet for example.
> >
> > Sure.
>
> Integrating KGet could be surely a rekonq target. I was a kget fun in KDE3
> times. But now I'm a bit disappointed from kget development.
> Too much features (and too much crashes) and focus lost on the "download
> manager" aspect.

The latest versions seem decently stable to me. And rekonq *will* need some
kind of download manager.

> > > Yes, but after "One process per tab" implementation
> >
> > Agreed.
>
> Not sure about this. We need to decide. I'm quite happy about current
> implementation. It's safe and clear.
> I don't understand the "side by side pages" needing and moving tabs from
> window to window seems to me more a game than a real feature.

Take web development. Needing to compare two versions of a given webpage is
very common. Also, it's extremely convenient when using virtual desktops: you
can have your "work" browser window on your "work" desktop, and your "leisure"
browser window on your "slashdot" desktop. It's not a gadget.

> > > Yes, it must be done but not critical.
>
> Yes, "awesome bar" is another of the killer feature rekonq has to have.
> In rekonq you can just find past history entries and google searching
> directing writing there. Just type CTRL+L and then write "ciao" to search
> for it. My idea here is that we need to better implement it and to let bar
> being more "awesome" (UI speaking). I really like firefox 3.5 here, in
> example.

There is certainly food for thought there. Firefox does a great job at
presenting the title of the page and the URL, but at the expense of screen
real estate. Also, finding the "right" algorithm to let the user find what he's
looking for with a minimum of keystroke will take a lot of tweaking.

> > The ideas I put forward were not necessarily intended for the next
> > release of Rekonq. I assume some of them could be integrated, if they are
> > easy enough to implement, but it's more a case of "general things I'd
> > love to see in Rekonq at some point in the future".
>
> Input, patches and ideas are always appreciate :)

Noted.

Cheers,

Emm