[rekonq] Re : [RFC] THE ROAD TO REKONQ 0.2

Emmanuel Surleau emmanuel.surleau at gmail.com
Wed Jul 29 07:43:18 CEST 2009

On Wednesday 29 July 2009 00:31:18 Ivan Čukić wrote:
> > > I'm really "critic" (not sure this is right term..) with this
> > > plugins/extensions idea based on firefox (and Gecko) experience and
> > > implementation.
>
> While the problem with standard plugins and KDE's plugins system is quite
> obvious, there could be a pretty clean solution that wouldn't lead to
> crashes - and it is scripting.
>
> By making a javascript interface, we would avoid the potential security and
> stability problems.

This would also dramatically lower the barrier for developing plugins, both in
terms of expertise needed and time to invest in it. However, assuming we go
with this, there is the question of delivery method... GetHotNewStuff seems the
obvious solution for this.

> The thing that I truly consider a great idea is the Mozilla Jetpack [1]. It
> is JavaScript with a simple interface to the program. The great thing is
> that every extension based on Jetpack would be able to be used in firefox,
> chrome (i think there was some news about this)... possibly konqueror,
> rekonq...
>
> Just throwing the idea into the pool - it is too early to even start
> thinking about Jetpack since its APIs are far from stable.

Definitely. This will certainly be a while.

Cheers,

Emm