[rekonq] Re : [RFC] THE ROAD TO REKONQ 0.2

Andrea Diamantini adjam7 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 28 22:37:06 CEST 2009

On Tuesday 28 July 2009 19:19:23 Lionel Chauvin wrote:
> Can you tell me your vision of Rekonq's futur ?

Sure :)

> I extrapolate you ideas, perhaps I am wrong.

eh eh..

Rekonq is a lightweight browser based on webkit and KDE technologies.
For me this are the the core concepts:
- lightweight
- webkit
- KDE technologies

Lightweight comes first because I'm quite sure that a browser HAS to be so.
I'm really "critic" (not sure this is right term..) with this
plugins/extensions idea based on firefox (and Gecko) experience and
implementation.
And I'm quite disappointed from current KDE plugin support implementation.
There are two main (core) problems: plugins has to be loaded at startup or
when its action is exposed and (more important) a plugin crash let application
crash.

Anyway, apart from technical reason, I never used more than two minutes a
firefox extension and I'd like asking you all: what is the REAL advantage from
this plugin support? What are the really useful plugins?

Webkit is rekonq rendering engine. I'm really impressed from webkit
escalation. And from Webkit Qt API. I'm quite sure it's just a matter of time
it will become "standard" open source web rendering engine. And prefix RE- in
rekonq's name means just a re-thinking (KDE) web browsing aspects.

KDE technologies are widely used in rekonq. And rekonq will ever be a KDE
product. There are dualism (eg: khtml vs webkit) but (for me) my ideas about
are quite clear.

---------------

This first one is the general part. About the "develop" part, I think you just
know my ideas.
rekonq 0.3: isolates tab processes and integrate kwallet. That's all!

I know about a guy working on KDE bookmarks re-implementation. I'm really
interested about this because I'm really not happy about the current one. And
we can work there to insert also rss feeds.

We surely need to follow KDE kio classes improvements in Qt history/cookies
classes improvements and so on.

All other ideas come from you (plural). We can debate each idea here. Sounds
good?

--
Andrea Diamantini,
IRC: adjam_AT_freenode